Sunday, November 3, 2013

Throughout the years feedback has always been helpful for me. I've never thought of feedback as being harsh or rude. In my opinion feedback is just a guideline to help you improve in areas your usually blind to. I say this because as an individual in college we're usually too focused on a few things at a  time, which may be school related, that we may be unable to address our social skills and reach out to our friends, or make conversation with others, etc. I've always thought of feedback as constructive criticism with me being a producer and all. One thing I've always told people though is that if your going to critique my work, or give me feedback, don't just give me a simple opinion. I'd like to know all of the areas I'm slacking in and what I can do to improve in those areas. I guess you can say I react very well to feedback, I use it as a resource in a sense.

Last night I asked my best friend to give me feedback on my leadership style. I know this may not count to others because my best friend could possibly just say all of the positive things about my leadership style, but thankfully my best friend is a guy who holds nothing back good or bad. He mentioned to me that while making music I'm very determined and willing to explore new ideas. He also had mentioned that a lot of times though I find myself focusing too hard on what I can possibly add to make a song sound better that I forget to enjoy what I'm doing. I'm really glad he told me that because it's so true. I sometimes take things a little too serious because I feel everything I create has to be the best thing ever but really I just need to let loose and have fun with what I'm doing. After telling me this my friend told me that he likes that I'm willing to listen to suggested ideas people throw out at me but then again I sometimes lack in suggesting ideas to others who can possibly benefit from what I have to offer. Everything my friend told me was really balanced, he really dug deep and kept it real with me, which is why I highly respect this man. After receiving that feedback from my best friend I'm going to just try and enjoy myself. I understand I may be on campus taking stressful courses but if I look outside of campus there are numerous amounts of people who are dealing with much tougher situations so I should just continue doing what I love to do, and enjoy the opportunity I was blessed to be given here at OSU.

1 comment:

  1. Jawan I loved your post! I completely agree that constructive criticism is a great thing to grow from. I like that you said feel free to give me criticism but I want feedback with it. A lot of time people are afraid of criticism because they haven't received it in the right way. They need to know how help themselves.
    It is so cool you produce music! When you're famous I'll buy all of your music and tell everyone I had class with you and commented on one of your blog posts(: But your best friend sounds awesome! It's great having someone in your life that has your back and is comfortable enough with you to always be honest. I agree with you that it's so easy to stress out with classes and little things at school but we have to take a step back and realize there are bigger problems and we should enjoy our time at OSU!

    ReplyDelete