Monday, October 28, 2013

Music Positivity Diffusion Chain

If anybody knows me then they know music has been a passion of mines ever since a little kid. I began singing in a choir when I was 8 years old. As years went by I began trying to write songs, gaining interest in becoming a solo music artist. After departing from the choir I was a part of for 5 years, I kept in touch with my music teacher who created the choir. She gave me numerous amounts of advice with trying to become a music artist and from there on I began to try and create my own path. There was one devastating Summer where I lost a notebook that contained all of my songs I had written, that was such a heartbreaker. After that I sort of faded away from singing then gained a new interest, which was producing music. I received my first keyboard and began teaching myself how to play all of the songs I heard on the radio at the time. Once I received my first laptop I began to mess around with this music software my Uncle had showed me. That music software really defined my passion for music. Everyday I'd just produce new instrumentals gaining additional knowledge about the software. It was so fun and it had became a huge dream of mines to be a music producer. Once I got down producing music I thought to myself "why stop here?" Hearing local hip-hop artists really made me believe that I could really make it because the one thing I felt, and still feel, is that their music isn't carrying a message about who they really are. I already knew I was much more then that. The thing with me is that I'm such a self made kid, I never had piano lessons, I was never taught how to write music, I just decided I was going to learn in a way that was much more interesting and exciting to me and it has worked out quite well. With all this said I was still able to stay on top of my academics, which was my moms main concern. Gaining a full scholarship to The Ohio State University was a major achievement for me because I now have access to so much more resources, and promoting can on campus can be really beneficial for me. At the end of my senior year I collaborated with a talented buddy of mine and we created our first mixtape, which is only the beginning for us.
 
 
Once I arrived here at Ohio State I made sure that one message remained with me and this message is to always remember where I came from, keep academics my first priority, use my academic and music ability to influence the youth, and take advantage of all of the resources here on campus. So far this message has stuck with me and I'm doing a decent job living by these values. While I'm here at Ohio State I plan to just grow as a music artist and gain as much knowledge as I can. In my opinion perfection doesn't exist because there is always room for improvement for me. Never allowing myself to get too comfortable with the music is important because with every project I look to create I always have expectations of topping my last project. These next 4-5 years on campus are just going to be growth phases for me. Learning who I really am, what I'm capable of doing, and what opportunities are open for me are my main goals right now. All I know is that as long as I stay close to making music, at the end of the day I'll always be proud of who I am.
 
 
 
Once I've graduated and am ready for the real world I plan to look for internships, book shows, and create so much more music. Everything that I've learned during my growth phases I plan to put them to use in reality. I am destined to find my way inside the music industry some way, somehow. I'm not just looking to reach a record deal for myself though. I always told my friends if I make it one day with my music we all made it and I meant that. I'm looking to really go back to where I came from and influence the youth that even with limited resources you can still bring your dreams to reality. My plan is to create a positive diffusion chain with my music amongst my city because there is so much talent in Cleveland but there is so little people actually influencing these youth to take advantage of their talent to create better lives for themselves. Music is a universal language and if I tell the story that everybody from my neighborhood can relate to then I can really impact many lives. Making music will always be a part of me and spreading positivity within the rough neighborhoods I grew up in is a new life time goal I plan to accomplish.
 

3 comments:

  1. Nice post man. You look like you really love music production. And good job on the mixtape. The music production industry sure is competitive, but very cool career to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jawan, this is really awesome! Your dedication to what you love is so apparent and pretty inspiring. I taught myself how to play guitar and music has helped me through such hard times. Music can reach everyone wherever they're at. I think it's really cool that you plan on using what you're passionate about to help kids and inspire them to go after whatever they love. You're going to have such a positive impact on them and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete